Wall Street Greek

Editor's Picks | Energy | Market Outlook | Gold | Real Estate | Stocks | Politics
Wall Street, Greek

The Wall Street Greek blog is the sexy & syndicated financial securities markets publication of former Senior Equity Analyst Markos N. Kaminis. Our stock market blog reaches reputable publishers & private networks and is an unbiased, independent Wall Street research resource on the economy, stocks, gold & currency, energy & oil, real estate and more. Wall Street & Greece should be as honest, dependable and passionate as The Greek.


Seeking Alpha

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Weekly Videos - Georgia Russia War Overshadows Olympics

I found myself getting emotional while putting together this week's video collage. You see, "The Greek" has been to the Republic of Georgia three times, including within the hour of Saakashvili's raid of Parliament, the unstoppable birth of true democracy in Georgia (the famed Rose Revolution).

Named "Rose" because of the beautiful and admirable lack of bloodshed, it surely was a dangerous time nonetheless. But, the hospitable and lovely locals tried to keep their guest at ease by telling me the gunfire I heard outside was fireworks. Being a hunter, I know the difference. I even looked down a machine gun barrel that was inches from my immobile head, so close I could have criticized the city border guard's cleaning job of his weapon. But, I felt very little fear (okay I was terrified at that specific moment); but more so, I felt the exaltation of the nation, so hopeful at that time that they might escape the post Soviet era poverty that had corroded their once cosmopolitan capital of Tbilisi.

I've been within the hotel Georgia's president now describes as destroyed, and I looked forward to skiing there someday. Heck, I even visited the town of Gori once, that place you see within these videos where the brother of a man killed by Russian bombs holds his brethren while pleading to God "Ara!" in Georgian, which means "No!". I love the Georgian people, and so that hurts me quite a bit. When I married a beautiful Georgian girl and she later separated from me, she could not divorce me from my love for Georgia.

It's ironic that Putin now bombs the town of Stalin's birth (Gori), and the only place where his statue still stands; it stands not because its residents viewed him just or right, but because they viewed him as their savior from Nazi fascism. He was their town's son first, and humanity's enemy second. Just as a mother will always love her son no matter what he does, Gori will always keep a place in its heart for Stalin... and that's admirable as well. I saw his modest childhood home, still preserved while not even guarded. I remember standing there and looking at the Soviet symbol of hammer and sickle, and asking my fiance' if she hated Ronald Reagan, my favorite patriot. She said no, "we loved him." God help Georgia, and I'll have more to say about the situation shortly.

Georgians and friends of Georgians are now gathering outside the United Nations seeking justice and help from the world to stop the massacre of their people. If you cannot see the videos below (74 in total), please visit the Wall Street Greek website to view them. I have to warn you that some of the video content is graphic, so view at your own risk.



As always, the views expressed within the videos may not agree with those of Wall Street Greek. Article interests AMEX: DIA, SPY, SDS, DOG, QLD, Nasdaq: QQQQ. Please see our disclosure at the Wall Street Greek website.

world news geopolitical georgia russia ossetia

Labels:

free email financial newsletter Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home