Wall Street Greek

Editor's Picks | Energy | Market Outlook | Gold | Real Estate | Stocks | Politics
Wall Street, Greek

The Wall Street Greek blog is the sexy & syndicated financial securities markets publication of former Senior Equity Analyst Markos N. Kaminis. Our stock market blog reaches reputable publishers & private networks and is an unbiased, independent Wall Street research resource on the economy, stocks, gold & currency, energy & oil, real estate and more. Wall Street & Greece should be as honest, dependable and passionate as The Greek.


Seeking Alpha

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Greece, Turkey Relations - Massacres at Ponti, Chios and Smyrna

ponti pontus massacre by Turks
I received a comment from a Turkish author, and I would like to invite him to republish that note below this article, so that a debate might ensue here. I do have something to say regarding your discussion sir, so please let's open an intelligent debate.

I am passionate in my love for Greece and America, but you should also be aware of a few bits of trivia about "The Greek." While the majority of my non-American readers are Greek, I also have a few Turkish/American readers and even one Turkish friend in Constantinople who I often debate with, and enjoy a beer, ouzo or raki with as well. When a close relative of mine denied me a room in New York about ten years ago, it was my Turkish friend who offered me, a Greek, a place to sleep. There's a life lesson in that.

I agree with the theme of your note, which was let's move forward and look to peace, but you held a very one-sided Turkish viewpoint. Despite the memory of the horrible massacre that occurred in Ponti, the complete destruction of a community of 350,000 Greeks who resided along the coast of the Black Sea in what is today Northern Turkey, I can also look forward. This is the Greek nature in fact; our religion dictates it.

Let me note finally that this is not a website about Greece, and it is not in the business of spreading anti-Turkish sentiment. But, its founder is a Greek/American with deep ancestral injury served upon by the Ottoman Empire and Turkey. Please republish your comment. My heartfelt sympathies to those remembering the massacres at Ponti, Chios (Xios) and Smyrna where "The Greek" himself traces his roots back to (Anatolia and Hios).

Let me take this opportunity to recommend an interesting documentary of personal accounts of the massacres. I was recently offered a gift copy of "The Greek Holocaust," produced by Pavlos Kapetanopoulos. If you would like to purchase a copy, call him at 1-888-899-3576, and tell him Markos Kaminis, the Wall Street Greek, sent you. Pavlos would like to add to his film, and you may also discuss helping him to do that. He's specifically looking for survivors of the events to interview, and for funding.

One of my favorite Greek/American readers, who I enjoy hearing from often, sent me a movie entitled "America, America" by Elias Kazan. It's also a must see wonderful story about the period, and about Greek/American and Armenian/American immigration from Asia Minor. Thank you.

Article interests Nasdaq: XTKFX, NYSE: NBG, AMEX: SPY, AMEX: DOG, Nasdaq: QQQQ. See our disclosure at Wall Street Greek.
travel greece tours

free email financial newsletter Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did the Greeks get no assistance as this haunts me often as its a well known fact the Americans 1 of the biggest powers of the world enjoy using our Alphabet to use for there Sororities and namimg states after Greeks words etc but when it came to Smyrna there was nothing done as the vessels which there were more then 40 just floating in the bay not far watching young beautiful Greek Assyrian and Armenian girls dragged away kicking and screaming from there parents in Smyrna and nothing was done, it also concerns me as we share a religion and one would think that that would be a reason to protect ones brothers and sisters but almost a million Greeks killed raped enslaved and for what and why.....for oil minerals tobacco what? I do not know but I hope one day I can understand before I get too old!

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home