Wall Street Greek

Editor's Picks | Energy | Market Outlook | Gold | Real Estate | Stocks | Politics
Wall Street, Greek

The Wall Street Greek blog is the sexy & syndicated financial securities markets publication of former Senior Equity Analyst Markos N. Kaminis. Our stock market blog reaches reputable publishers & private networks and is an unbiased, independent Wall Street research resource on the economy, stocks, gold & currency, energy & oil, real estate and more. Wall Street & Greece should be as honest, dependable and passionate as The Greek.


Seeking Alpha

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Today's Coffee - Hamas, Housing and Yahoo!

In this issue, I cover the day's economic data & analysis, geopolitical concerns in Palestine and Iran, and stock specific issues at Apple (AAPL), Yahoo! (YHOO) and Microsoft (MSFT).

Economic Data & Analysis

May Housing Starts

May housing starts were reported at an annual pace of 1.474 million, compared to 1.502 million in April, but starts came in about in line with the low bar set by economists. New building permits were reported running at an annual pace of 1.501 million, up from April. Yesterday's housing index also confirmed that home builders agree on an outlook that is not rosy. I expect some more builders to go bankrupt before all is said and done. I read some 50 subprime lenders have gone under so far.

In reading the economist's statement in today's Bloomberg article, the one concerning the housing numbers, I noticed his current view compares well to some of the things I wrote way back in January. YES, tighter credit standards that resulted from the subprime debacle are impacting lending, and YES, rising interest rates are affecting the trend of increasing foreclosures. I am going to create a mechanism for readers to better search my records, and also highlight some of the prescient forecasts made over past months. It's a little difficult to do now, especially considering the way I labeled articles early on. The site is littered with articles from December through April discussing the double dip that I expected in housing, which has since proved true.

But, what you need to know today is how things are going to look in the future. My view is that after a modest recovery in GDP is reported for Q2, we should see consumer softness bring GDP down again later this year, possibly into recession. So, I see this current rise of interest rates as short lived, since I would anticipate rates will once again price in an increased probability of a Fed move to inspire investment. However, I do expect continued pressure on rates from Chinese divestiture of treasuries or reduced purchases of them, and from persistent inflation. The investment issue should become a real problem if we enter combat with Iran as well. I spoke of stagflation late last year, and I still believe there is a decent chance we could see it. In any event, I expect a severe correction to global equity markets directly related to the confrontation of Iran that is approaching.

International Council of Shopping Centers - UBS Same-Store Sales Report

I don't see this data reported anywhere else, but it's important for future retail sales reports. So, by following it, you are getting ahead of the game. It looks like consumer spending could be softening. Last week's report showed a week-over-week rise of 1.0% and year-to-year change of 2.1%. This week, the data showed a week-to-week decrease of 0.1% and smaller year-over-year rise of 1.9%. This was the week before Father's Day, so you would have expected growth in the weekly comparison, unless Americans our honoring their father's less than usual. Judging by the amount of people on the train this weekend, I don't think that's the case. So, maybe pop only got a bottle opener this year instead of the surf 'n turf he's become accustomed to. We'll monitor this report for you every Tuesday. Incidentally, the less reliable Redbook Report showed an increase of 2.0% year-over-year.

State Street Investor Confidence Index

We told you over the weekend, in "The Greek's Week Ahead - The Father of the Next Recession," that the State Street Index, which takes a look at the amount of risk within portfolios, was not likely to show as meager a confidence view as the Michigan Survey. June's report measured 97.2, versus 91.2 in May.

Geopolitical Issues

Palestine

As we anticipated, Israeli tanks are on their way to the border with Gaza. Israel is not going to allow a militant rival, and illegitimate government to rule the region. Hamas should have foreseen this, and Iran is not going to come to their aid either. Now, Hamas, and thousands of innocent Palestinians are caught in the trap with the sea to their backs.

I believe Mahmoud Abbas has once again made a significantly flawed decision. After Prime Minister Haniya's home was attacked by grenade launcher, he should have denounced the illegal action and sought to prosecute the Fatah members who perpetrated it. I don't give a damn about what violenced preceded it, after all, he was a government official. The only way Abbas can defeat the popularly elected Hamas, is by uniting Palestinians. I repeat, he should burn the Fatah Party flag and the Hamas flag, and call on Palestinians to unite. He should restore his government through new elections and beg Israel to remain across the border.

What actually is going to happen is that he is using Hamas' rebellion as a tool to remove the group. However, the casualties of this effort will be the Palestinians in Gaza who are about to be run over by Israeli tanks. In the end, the cornered Hamas will bite, and I anticipate the bitten will include Mr. Abbas. I think he is targeted as I write this article, and I expect he will have moved on from this world before the end of the summer. However, he has made his own bed. By siding with America and Israel, and against a good portion of his own people, including those who voted Hamas into power, he's like a bleeding old shark among a frenzy of his kin. The best thing he could do now to preserve his survival is to resign, but if he has vision, he will unite his people and not divide them. I can say one thing with certainty, I will not be at the funeral.

Iran and the Oil Card

Today, Iran's OPEC representative confirmed that, in fact, Iran will use the oil card if necessary. The guy actually smartly included the U.S. in his statement, saying that if America could keep the "use of force option" on the table, Iran could keep its oil card as well. By doing this, he places the blame for Iran's future action that will impact the entire world square on the U.S. Some of the discussion seemed to indicate that Iran might not lash out at its neighbor in Saudi Arabia, as we anticipate here. However, I still expect that a desperate Iran will first strike Kuwait and Iraq, and eventually attempt to damage Saudi Arabia's oil infrastructure.

Remember that when following Iran, Mahmoud Amadinejad is the President, but the head of state is Iran's Supreme Leader. Clearly, Amadinejad has bigger dreams and may some day become the Supreme Leader, but today, Ayatollah Khameini makes the final decisions.

Company Specific News

I think I have to address Yahoo! (YHOO) and Apple (AAPL) today, as both shares are active on news. Yahoo! replaced its CEO with one of its founders, and I think this will be good for the company in terms of vision. However, I do not think it increases the chances of a Yahoo!/Microsoft (MSFT) merger. The reason I believe this, is not scientific. This business is an imprecise mix of science and art. My intuition tells me that the founder of a company, who cares so much about the performance of the company he founded that he returns to run it after already getting rich from the effort, is a guy who is not going to succumb to his competition or merge with it.

Apple's IPhone will soon be available at a store near you, possibly even at the ailing Best Buy (BBY), which reported softer than expected profits today. AAPL stock has run up ahead of the release, as the product is viewed as a blockbuster. But is it? Recent surveys raise concern about the price point, but Wall Street Greek anticipates wireless telecommunications providers will pick up a good portion of that cost to win market share. It's the kind of product that could inspire you to switch service providers. Net net, though, I think the stock will soften on the news, just as it ran up ahead of it, but will prove a winner in the end. Yes, I am eating crow. The SEC looks to be letting Jobs slide on the options issue, and it's unfortunate, because from my perspective, it doesn't seem quite fair. Still, any investor in AAPL must be aware that a bomb could drop any day, should the SEC want to pursue the issue. Otherwise, I think quarterly results will be lifted by this product. It seems to me like a real winner. Hey, what do I know, I'm just going on perception here, but it's that same perception that told you Mitt Romney would be president. He now leads the GOP candidates in the important early states... I am going to cover commodities in tomorrow's issue, with the Petroleum Status Report. Thanks for your interest.

Receive Wall Street Greek via email by subscribing here. If you change your mind, it's easy to unsubscribe. We respect your privacy and will not share your information with any third party. (disclosure)

Westport Big & Tall: Look Your Best

free email financial newsletter Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please define an illegitimate government and explain why you think Hamas fits such a definition.

I read your blog every day and I actually think you are one hell of a smart guy. I just think you have a very objective views on global politics. Without that, most of your related stock picks, would always be irrelevant to current global political context.

If America attacks Iran, the only country that would fall into recession is America alone. Most countries have gone beyond wars.

China is investing hugely in Africa while America is caught up in Middle -East.

Peace

8:05 PM  
Blogger The Greek said...

Dear Anonymous,

First let me say, I hope you have not interpreted my statements as anti anything. I hope I come across more intelligent than that, however much you may disagree with my opinion in this instance. Disagreement is welcome here. I'm not looking for yesmen; I'll never learn anything surrounded by them.

Now, to answer the question. Hamas is ruling Gaza by force. It has destroyed the government facilities and forced out the ruling officials. This is clearly illegal and illegitimate, and will not lead to anything progressive. I believe there are times when force is the only answer, and the most viable answer, but this was not one of them. Hamas had significant populous support, and Israel was handcuffed from acting.

I cannot support a group that views Iran and Hezbollah as allies, but I can sympathize with the human love and hope they have for their people. Now, I know violence occurred and was directed by both parties, and I know it's hard to act without emotion in such instances. Still, you have to try.

Regarding Iran. If you go to sleep for two years, Iran will back up their rhetoric with nuclear missile threats, and maybe take over sovereign neighbors. You cannot sleep when others are acting. Iran should take example from Libya. Kudafi is still in power, and kind of given amnesty for past actions. America can forgive. Two of America's greatest allies today include Japan and Germany, both of which I'm sure you can agree are independent states, not U.S. satellites. I wish Iran could swallow some pride and agree to allow the supply of fuel for its reactors. Still, if it was my country, that would be a tough decision to make. I would like to write more.. maybe later.

Which country do you believe has passed war? Just curious.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hamas was legitimately voted to power so whatever they do in Gaza must be looked from that angle. Please do not get me wrong and assume I support Hamas or for that matter any entity in that region. I just think peace, in that area, can only be achieved if we allow objectivity to prevail.

Which one is more of a threat, Korea with a Nuclear bomb or Iran with a nuclear power for generating energy? You could have your own opinion on this just as I also do not believe that Israel does not have a nuclear weapon. I am pretty certain you think I am dumb :)

Anyway, Pakistan and India have the bomb and yet, none of those countries are seen as a threat to America.

I think we should get beyond echoing whatever we see and hear on CNN/FOX and try to analyze issues objectively.

Anyway, from your write ups, which of the homebuilders do you think would be severely impacted by the current housing situation? I know most of them have already been beaten down but do you still see any further stock price weakening?

Respect

12:28 AM  
Blogger The Greek said...

Anonymous,

I want to be sure I'm clear on this, as it's important. I'm not for Hamas. In fact, I believe Israel has no choice but to remove Hamas from power now in Gaza, if Hamas does not stand down. It is illegally controlling the region. New elections are necessary at this point, and what Abbas has done insures civil war will continue, just as much as what Hamas has done. The answer here is for someone to step up in Palestine, burn both of the party flags of Fatah and Hamas, and say I am Palestinian. I stand for Palestine. Israel wants a peaceful neighbor there and will support one if it can arise. Listen, I'm not pretending I can solve this decades old, perhaps longer, problem and I know there is more to it than I've touched on. But, a divided Palestine is in no position to accomplish anything. We have to acknowledge that Palestinians VOTED for Hamas, and show some respect of that. Palestinians are desperate for peace at this point, and that's what you see manifest in suicide bombings and chaos. They are lost for answers. It's time for someone to really give a damn from the outside, and pass through the gates of Jerusalem and make a difference. This is the center of Middle Eastern fire, and the situation has to be mended, or it will grow into our problem.

The people who ardently proclaim, "nuke them all" are ignorant to the struggle on the ground there. And those who say Israel is illegitimate are just as ignorant. People have to stop focusing on the past, and move forward toward a solution that fits the present.

Markos

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elections already took place and Hamas won, there is no need for another elections. What is currently happening over there and the subsequent interests shown by the powers that be, to help Abbas clearly indicates that foreign entities had a hand in the current stabilizations.

Elections alone does not solve a problem. Saddam was a very evil man but do you think his overthrow really made Iraq any better? Would it not have been easier to just assassinate him instead of putting the country through this mess?

Hamas and Fatah were created by people who wanted this very outcome....Think about it.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home