Wall Street Greek

Editor's Picks | Energy | Market Outlook | Gold | Real Estate | Stocks | Politics
Wall Street, Greek

The Wall Street Greek blog is the sexy & syndicated financial securities markets publication of former Senior Equity Analyst Markos N. Kaminis. Our stock market blog reaches reputable publishers & private networks and is an unbiased, independent Wall Street research resource on the economy, stocks, gold & currency, energy & oil, real estate and more. Wall Street & Greece should be as honest, dependable and passionate as The Greek.


Seeking Alpha

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Today's Coffee - China and the Democrats

I noticed the more I mention China, the more publicity my site receives, so China China China... The day's hottest topic is by far China and the trade/economic discussions just getting underway today. Well actually, today was mostly about greet and meet, and tonight's cordial dinner should swiftly give way to hardcore bargaining tomorrow.

In my musings of Friday and in "The Greek's Week Ahead," I failed to note one important catalyst that could impact Chinese stocks, and relations with the communist behemoth at the same time. THE DEMOCRATS! Yes, you remember that mean ugly bunch that tear each other apart so badly during their primary disputes that the resulting winner is usually too battered and bruised to have a chance in the general election. Yes, those guys, and girls these days, are set to meet on their own with the Chinese behind closed doors. I'm not sure that's such a good idea. I mean, they may not come out alive. That Pelosi is one tough cookie. The DEMOCRATS are out for blood! They want trade war, well, they want tougher penalties for property rights stealing Chinese companies and they want the Chinese to let the yuan float freely to allow for a more competitive trade environment. Fair deal, you must admit. I'm just worried for the safety of the Chinese delegation.

In past articles, I discussed my view that now is not the time to start a trade war with China. I suggested that we needed to bite our lip a bit longer, at least until we exit this critical stage of the economic cycle. But those Dems are hell bent on showing America that they mean business ahead of 2008. I'm really worried. I even heard Ted Kennedy has offered to drive the group to dinner... Okay, that's going too far. I am a fan of the patriotism JFK personified, so its hard for me to even make a joke there, and I'm no judge nor jury. God bless America and the impact of JFK.

Let's get back to topic before I lose my day job and my democratic readers, and hopefully I will not lose any republicans because of that sentence. As you all know, I embrace an open-minded philosophy, and am not afraid to cross party lines on issues if my views differ. I have to admit that some of you who embrace specific parties with a sort of insane fury scare me sometimes. I think that nothing is so black and white that we should relegate ourselves to specific box within which to live. How many of you are Republicans and how many Democrats? Feel free to reply via the comment box at the end of the article. I'm just curious. I bet it's something near 50/50.

China China China. The Democratic push of Congress portends to pressure China enough to hurt Chinese equities, if not for the Republican president and his veto hammer. I believe that after the primaries, if a Democrat emerges as the favorite to be president, Chinese equities could start to notice. It's a catalyst I left out in my last report, and I think you should follow the issue if you are benefiting from emerging market growth or considering investment in the Far East. For your information, the mainland China CSI 300 Index broke even higher today, rising 1.0%.

Below, please find all the articles from our "Key Headlines" sidebar:

Key Headlines:

Yahoo!/AP: U.S. and China Talking Trade and Economics Today
Forbes: Chinese Market Breaks Record
CNN Money: The Pervasive Gasoline Tax
Financial Times: China Buys Into Blackstone
AP/Yahoo!: NYC Cabs Go Green
Yahoo! Earnings Calendar
DesMoines Register: Romney Rising in Iowa
BBC: Iran/Al-Qaeda Influencing Uprisings in Palestine, Lebanon, Pakistan?
BBC: Israeli Meddling a Bad Thing for Fatah, Abbas
Bloomberg: German Investor Confidence is Strong
Financial Times: WSG Wonders How Long It Will Take BP to Regret Russian Ventures
Bloomberg: Fremont General Sells Commercial Lending Unit
Iran Daily: Tales from the Dark Side

If you would like to advertise at the end of one of our articles, contact us at wallstreetgreek@gmail.com. We can help design your advertisement if necessary. (disclosure)
transportation stocks

free email financial newsletter Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Greek,
I can identify with your statement that those that "...embrace specific parties with a sort of insane fury scare me sometimes." I was Republican when I was younger but since the American wing of the Talaban took over the party I've tended to stay away. Wish the moderate party bosses would kick those guys out and get back to the business of running the government in a fiscally responsible manner and stop interfering in other people's personal choices. It's all distraction from more important business.
Regards,
Split Ticket

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home